I can’t stress how important self-knowledge, self-education, and being socially conscious is— especially for people of color. I strongly believe that consciousness is vital for our survival in today’s world. Consciousness is the state of awareness of an external object or force and the best way I know how to remain conscious is through the reading of literature.
I’ve always loved reading. When I was younger it was fictional novels that allowed me to dream and escape for a while. Now that I am older, I am more into non-fictional books, biographies, and self-help novels. I wish my reading list was larger however, I am very excited to share the books I did read this year with you.
My 2017 Reading List
1. The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley
2. Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
3. Women, Race, & Class by Angela Davis
4. Willie Lynch Theory- The Making of a Slave by William Lynch
5. The Bomb Life by Claire Summers
6. The Mis-education of the Negro by Carter G. Woodson
7. Between the World and Me by T’Nehisi Coates
Out of the books I read this year, Malcolm X autobiography was my favorite. Of course it is my intentions to read and learn more for the new year.
Some books I look forward to reading in 2018 include:
1. Revolutionary Suicide by Huey P. Newton
2. How to be Black by Baratunde Thurston
3. 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
4. The Secref by Rhonda Byrne
The list is still growing, in fact I solicited suggestions from dear friend Katricia who has a blog dedicated to literature .
Please see what Katricia had to say below and checkout her blog www.thirty2books.com
“Reading is informative, fun, necessary, a getaway, a lesson, a journey, a smile, a tear, a connection. It allows us direct insight into untold stories, history forgotten and into some of the greatest minds that have ever graced this planet.
My top 3 picks for this year would have to be:
1. The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson
2. Between The World And Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
3. (And one I’ve read for a 2nd time) The Greatest Salesman In The World by OG Mandino
Some of my 2018 planned reads are:
1. Ego Is The Enemy by Ryan Holiday
2. I’m re-reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan
3. and diving into more books about putting people over profit, so I’ll be finishing up Social Business by Muhammad Yunus”